Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A new mindset


This was weird.  I have finished the Couch 2 5K program.  So...I knew that I wanted to keep running, because it was a huge accomplishment that I even started and didn't want to stop.

But.

Yeah, I know...but.

It is SOOOOO HOT!  Not, Jennifer is complaining because there is no A/C outdoors hot, but OMG Heat Advisory, Caution, Stay indoors hot.  So, I was nervous to run.

Then, about 7:30...I kind of had my mind made up that I wasn't going to run today.  I would do it tomorrow.  Then I knew that tomorrow would turn into tomorrows and tomorrows would turn into weeks and so on.  I also knew that I would feel like a failure and give it all up.  Then, I realized that maybe it was the 3.1 miles I was dreading.

So I got up and got changed.  See, I realized that just because I finished the C25K program, doesn't mean I HAVE to run 3.1 miles every time.  The goal was to get me MOVING.  Is 1 or 2 miles less than 3?  Yes, but it is more than NOTHING.  With that I gave myself permission to run less.  So, I ran.  Yes, less, but I ran.  (And I get the heat advisory thing :)  Do I feel like a small failure?  Maybe, but not as much as I would have watching TV doing nothing.

Does any of this make sense?

No comments: